Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Goodies

We are in Upstate NY for weekend visiting both sets of parents-the real Upstate! 30 minutes south of the Canadian border not 15 minutes outside of Albany. We started out Friday AM-2 adults, 1 kid and a dog heading up PA Route 220-can I just say yet again that I HATE that road! I swear that is the absolute last time we are taking it-I am erasing it from Judith's mind (the Garmin). I know that I have said that before (maybe not here but the hubby has heard it plenty of times) but I had tried to pull a sneaky by programing Judith with a quilt shop stop in Johnson City (right outside of Binghampton NY) and didn't want to bypass 220 for fear of missing the quilt shop. So off we went on the route that had a drunk as a foreman or they followed the black snake up the mountain-needless to say 10 minutes on that route the dog was sick and the kid was squealing because the dog was "barfing". We kept trucking along knowing that when we got to Tonowanda the road straightened out. Sure enough once we got off the winding road she was fine. All was good-nope-we get to NYS route 17 heading east and the sun is on her side of the car-peeuuuu did she stink-now she, her bed and the seat were in desperate need of a washing. I fessed to the boys what I had done with Judith and they were fine but gave me a timer-20-30 minutes-WHAT!! Barely enough time to touch everything-better than nothing so with no complaints I walk in to Sew Many Quilts-oooo lovely. Such pretty displays and a nice array of fabrics. I was in search of Friends & Flowers Red Geranium in yardage not a cake, jelly or charm-new concept but you know some traditions die hard. They offer so many classes and answered my questions about what the blocks were called and how big they were-they could have easily told me to take the class-as I have heard before. Plus they sell the Viking Sapphire 870-which I drooled over for about 10 seconds-no since wasting time. I got what I needed and then some-you knew that was going to happen didn't you ;) and we headed north. Arriving safely and without further vomit.


Upon arrival to Mom and Dad's I got presents!! Mom got me a Quilter's Journal, the mini Thangles that I have searching for, and the cutest thing for binding-you wind the binding around this spool thing that has a rope so you can hang it over your neck and as you sew the binding it unwinds from the spool hanging around your neck. I normally refuse to buy gadgets and Mom knows better than to buy them for me but this one is cool and will be used!


Saturday my parents and my family traveled even further north (didn't know there was so much Upstate did you?) to see my Grandparents in Potsdam. We detoured yet again to Rensalear Falls to the cutest little quilt shop and they were having a 25% off sale!!! Beautiful! I bought 20 fat quarters in a bundle of the Retro Jell-O fabrics and coordinates! Love it! I think I will actually do a Turning 20 out of them. We saw my grandparents which was nice because we haven't' seen them since moving to PA.


I doubt I can sneak in any more quilt shop stops this weekend-liable to get the hairy eyeballs form the son and the hubby, so I think this is it but it all is wonderful!post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Hi. I found your site when I was looking for events happening in central pa for memorial day weekend. Always nice to meet new people in central pa who shares the quilting bug. Wanted to send an email to say hi but could not find an address.

Trish

Anonymous said...

Shelly,
Hi!! I'm in PA too! I live in South-Western PA, you know there is a Shop Hop next month, not sure how far that is for you to travel though. I'm going to set some money aside for it, can't wait.

Shelly said...

I am near Williamsport-I pretty much travel all over for quilt shops!
I have never done a shop hop but the idea intrigues me-
shelly03@ptd.net

Marlene said...

Hi Shelly, I was just reading through all the blogs of people listed in round 2 of the booty swap. Where abouts in "Upstate" NY did you go? My husband is from Canton.