Sunday, June 1, 2008

Quiet Weekend

As much as I LOVE long weekends I really do not like coming back afterwards-I spend the week playing catch up: laundry, house work, my job and life in general. I was so looking forward to this weekend and got what I needed to do done!

The weather was on and off again rain yesterday so I took advantage of the lawn mowing delay and got my blocks for the ALQS pieced. My Mom is cleaning out the sewing room and was recycling magazines so I spent some time looking threw them and found a neat block for this exchange and had bought a pack of fat quarters that would be great. The original pattern was pieced with templates!! What in the world is a template-is that something from the age of cassette tapes? Well there would be no template quilting here so I headed to the computer, booted up EQ6 (Mom's not mine-yet) and turned it into a paper pieced project-much more my style. I got that all together Saturday and realized that I did not have enough left of any one color for the borders and did not like the idea of a scrappy border. It was 11AM-my local quilt shop is open until 3-plenty of time to shower and get there. I arrived at 1:05 and saw the sign on the door that said "Summer Hours"-Nuts-I only had 55 minutes! Seems like a lot of time but I needed to find the perfect border and fabric for 2 more pillow cases. To top it off-they were setting out the holiday fabrics-I got what I needed to get but had to postpone the touching and playing with the holiday fabrics for another day. I then headed to the mall for my favorite shampoo and came across some nice sales and ended up with more than shampoo-don't you love when that happens. The last stop was the grocery store before headed over the mountain.


My parents visited for Easter and while here we went to Lancaster for the day. I wanted my mom to see how different the Amish are here versus upstate NY. While there we visited a quilt shop-there we say a nine-patch in traditional colors with black-it was really stunning and then I flipped the price tag.....$400!!! I dropped the tag and stepped away in case the white gloves didn't protect the lovely wall hanging from my sweaty palms. Are you kidding-400 bucks for a wall hanging? I appreciate that it was hand quilted-in the ditch mind you but 400 dollars??? Needless to say that wall hanging is still in that lovely shop in Lancaster PA-it does not grace the walls of my home.

BUT-there is a reproduction hanging on my wall and it's twin in upstate NY hanging on my Mom's wall-all for a mere $40 in fabric and a day's worth of work. I found this variegated rainbow thread that is amazing in this-not very Amish at all but I love how it turned out.

I am all about the classic in retro and this defines that for me-I love it.

1 comment:

loulee said...

That thread was made for that quilt.