Sunday, August 24, 2008

Maybe it wasn't meant to be square....


So I pulled out a 42" trapezoid UFO to finally finish after about 10-11 years. This is the Carol Doak Birds of Paradise from one of her earlier books. Mom and I drove to Syracuse in January to take this class. This class drove me to buy my first Viking because I hauled around an eighty pound Kenmore machine-crazy big and heavy. That machine could sew through steel beams if you needed it to! The top, backing and binding have traveled to North Carolina, a few spots in New York and finally here to PA. It was none to smooth and because I have the cheapest, most useless iron on earth! (brand new one to boot!) I had to hang it in the bathroom and hope the shower steam would help my lazy iron. It kind of did and finally today I decided that it was as flat as flat could be and moved forward. I tried the taping the back to the floor method, laid the batting then the top. WOW-how crazy un-square can a top possibly get-I must have been sipping wine or suffering from vertigo when I put this together! How do you square up a trapezoid? Hmmmm....you do the best you can and move on-get this bugger done with a disclaimer on the label that it was only the 3rd quilt I had ever done.


The new machine is wonderful to quilt with-all the room! I have yet to struggle turning it as I pivot. After this is done I need to find a project that can let me use some of the fancy stitches...I think I have a batter bowl pattern in there somewhere which would use the blanket stitch-that could be a good start.


post signature

2 comments:

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

One of these days I'll get back on a quilting kick, but for now it's on the back burner. I'll have to find yours again for inspiration when I am ready to get going again!

Shelly said...

Thank you. I just feel the need to finish things before buying any more "some days". Good luck finding it!